Monday, June 8, 2009

The Birth of Alexa Isabella Castillo

There is soooo much to update and like I said in my previous post there is not a day that goes by that I do not recognize and remind myself how incredibly blessed I am. I praise the Lord for His blessings in my life, especially for my little Alexa Isabella who was born on May 31st 6 weeks early. My water broke that morning at 5 and I headed to Presby in Dallas where I was on bedrest for 2 weeks for preterm labor. By the time I got to Presby I was 4cm dilated and yes indeed my water was broken. An hour later I was 6cm dilated and I was planning on an elective c-section because of the complications I had with Alex (episiotomy, forceps delivery, 4th degree and hematoma) so they hurried and got me ready for the c-section. By the time I got back there I was already 8cm and the contractions were getting very painful. Alexa was born at 9:18 a.m. pink and crying. All babies born less than 35 weeks gestation go to the NICU so as soon as she was born they took her to the NICU. I was able to see her as soon as my recovery was over and she just looked so perfect. She was a BIG girl for her gestation weighing in at 6lbs and 11ozs and was 19 3/4 inches. She initially had trouble nippling so they feed her via feeding tube. That night she began having periods of apnea (where she quits breathing for greater than 20 seconds)so she required oxygen via nasal cannula. Alexa stayed in the NICU for a week and finally moved to the special care nursery on Sunday. She is still having trouble nippling and a occupational theraptist is still working with Rob and I but she seems to breastfeed awesome. Her apnea spells seems to be less and less and each new day. We are hoping to have her home by next week.

The day before I delivered- 34 weeks





0 comments: